Notifications & Audible Bell
Warp can send you customizable desktop notifications when you are away from the app and quickly re-focus when something meaningful happens in your terminal sessions. Notifications can be sent when a command completes after a configurable number of seconds or when a running command needs you to enter a password to proceed. For either of these triggers, Warp will only send you a desktop notification if you are using a different app at the time the trigger is fired. Warp also allows you to enable an audible terminal bell (disabled by default) that can be triggered by a variety of CLI tools (i.e.
- Notifications are enabled by default and require macOS permissions to appear. You will want to Allow or Accept the request so that Warp can send you desktop notifications. If you accidentally denied it or would like to re-enable Notifications later, check the troubleshooting guide below.
- If you've turned Notifications off before, toggle it back on by going to
Settings > Features, or quickly toggle Notifications on or off via the Command Palette
- Customize Notification triggers for long-running commands or password prompts by going to
Settings > Features.
- In Settings, enable an Audible terminal bell in
Settings > Features > Terminal.
- In Command Palette, “Enable/Disable Audible Terminal Bell”.
Warp requires two distinct notification settings to work. Mac system settings found in
Mac > System Preferences > Notifications & Focusand Warp app settings found in
Settings > Featuresmust both be enabled for Notifications to show. If you have Notifications enabled in the system and Warp, but you still aren't receiving desktop notifications, try the following:
- Make sure that you are navigated away from Warp when you expect to receive the notification.
- Make sure the Do not Disturb mode is turned off in
Mac > System Preferences > Notifications > Notifications & Focus > Focus.
- Go to
Mac > System Preferences > Notifications & Focus > Notificationsand select Warp in the list. Make sure either banner style or alert style notifications are selected, then quit and restart Warp.
- Once all of the above is done, please Restart MacOS to apply the changes and that should help with restoring notifications in Warp.